Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Michie Experiences The Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park


After visiting Detroit, I traveled west to visit Grand Rapids, a beautiful city with historic architecture, delicious restaurants and lots of culture.
The highlight of my trip was Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, an open-air museum featuring hundreds of internationally acclaimed works of art.
After admiring the tulips and daffodils, I headed inside to see one of Meijer Gardens’ most popular exhibitions, Butterflies Are Blooming. I saw more than 40 different species of tropical butterflies and even native Michigan caterpillars!
The 132-acre facility is huge and there’s so much see! Out in the Sculpture Park, I saw men made of letters, a giant spider and a gardening spade that is 23 feet tall!
“Spider” by Louise Bourgeois
“Plantoir” by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen
“I, you, she or he…” by Jaume Plensa

Okay, I got a little side tracked when I saw the scenic waterfalls. What can I say, I like water! I’ve been told this is a very popular spot for weddings during the summer.
The real reason I came, though, is to check out the impressive facility rental space they have here. I’ve been told that all sorts of events happen here. With 17 spaces to accommodate a variety of group sizes, it’s a great place for corporate retreats, conferences and expos, and family parties. I caught a couple during my trip here.
During Spectrum Health’s Trauma Symposium, I visited a few vendors.
I also caught a glimpse of Calvin Seminary’s Appreciation Dinner. The food smelled delicious!
Did you know that all room rentals include free parking and admission for event guests? That means if you hold an event here, your attendees can enjoy the many sculpture and seasonal displays during the rental time.
It was so much fun visiting this beautiful place. There are always new things to see, so I know I’ll be back. Maybe I will plan an event during the summer when the weather is a little nicer!
If you want to know more, visit MeijerGardens.org

No comments:

Post a Comment